How Long Do You Live After Kidneys Shut Down2014-02-02 01:39
Question: I have a friend who was diagnosed with Good Pasture’s Syndrome. He is 65 and his kidneys are completely shot. Prior to this he was in very good shape. I was wondering how much time he has if he doesn’t find a kidney transplant.
Answer: Hi, I am so sorry to hear your friend is suffering from kidney failure and hope we can do something to help him reduce sufferings. You said his kidneys are completely shot, so he must be on dialysis now, right? The survival rate for people who are on dialysis decreases over time and it is said it at close to 80 percent through one year, 64 percent through two years, 33 percent after five years and 10 percent through 10 years. So how long has your friend been on dialysis?
Besides, what any other illnesses or problems does your friend has now? Although kidney failure is life-threatening, most of the time, patients die of serious complications like heart failure and stroke. Therefore, preventing these illnesses actively is also very important for dialysis patients to live a longer time.
Lastly, does your friend still have urine output or not? Kidney is in charge of filtering blood and producing urine. Urine output means there are still healthy kidney function. In such a case, it is possible for medicines to flow into kidney with bloodstream. Therefore, if he still has urine output, then he has chance to get his kidney function improved. With improved kidney function, not only much more toxins can be removed out of the blood, but also life span can be prolonged successfully.
- Tag: Dialysis Kidney Failure Prognosis
- Pre: Can Stage 4 Kidney Failure Patients be Cured by Some Effective Treatment
- Next: Treatment for Improving Prognosis for Stage 5 Kidney Failure
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- How Long Can Kidney Failure Patients Live if They Stop Dialysis
- How Long Can Kidney Failure Patient Live with Creatinine 4.7
- How Long Kidney Disease Patient with Creatinine 574 Live without Dialysis
- What is the Life Expectancy for Kidney Failure Patient with GFR of 10
- What Is the Recovery Chance of Stage 4 Kidney Disease
- Kidney Failure Diagnosis
- Kidney Failure Causes
- Kidney Failure Symptoms
- Kidney Failure Treatment
- Kidney Failure Diet
- Kidney Failure Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis