Is There Anything to Worry with Creatinine 1.8This article was provided by doctor zhengfalei 2013-11-10 09:17
One of my facebook friends told me that he got her father’s test report several days ago and she found that his creatinine level is 1.8md/dL. Therefore, she was wondering if there is anything to worry.
Normal creatinine level in blood is 0.5-1.3mg/dL. Creatinine 1.8 is not very high compared with reference value; however this does not mean there is nothing to worry.
What does creatinine 1.8 mean?
Creatinine is a common waste produced in our body and it is always measured to reflect kidney function as kidney is responsible for excreting excess creatinine in blood.
Our kidney is composed of about one million nephron and when only a very small amount of nephron are injured, residual kidney function is potent enough to remove excess creatinine in blood. Therefore, in early stage of kidney disease, creatinine level does not increase at all. Also, this is the reason why kidney disease in early stage causes no symptoms or discomforts at all.
Clinical studies show that creatinine level begins to increase when about a half of kidney tissues are injured. Therefore, although creatinine 1.8 is not very high, but it means kidney function has been impaired severely.
What to do with creatinine 1.8?
Creatinine 1.8 is higher than the reference value, but it is not high enough for patients to start dialysis. Under such a condition, with comprehensive treatment, kidney function can be restored partially and creatinine level in blood can be lowered down effectively.
Comprehensive treatment for creatinine 1.8 includes:
1. Well-planed diet: A well-planed diet is an important part in the treatment for creatinine 1.8. In reality, for patients whose creatinine level has been elevated to 1.8, they generally need to limit protein intake, reduce salt intake and stay far away from high potassium foods and high phosphorus foods. In addition, if they have swelling, they also need to limit fluid intake.
2. Restore of kidney function: creatinine level increases as impaired kidney fail to excrete excess creatinine in the body, so repairing kidney damages to restore kidney function is the basic for the decrease of creatinine 1.8.
3. Healthy life style: A healthy life style refers to regular bed time, regular physical exercises and quitting of smoking and drinking alcohol.
4. Active prevention of cold and infection: Cold and infection are the leading two causes of relapse of kidney disease and increase of creatinine level, so it is very necessary for kidney disease patients to prevent cold and infection.
- Tag: Creatinine
- Pre: What Are the Natural Treatments to Decrease Creatinine
- Next: Is It OK to Use Pumpkin Seed Oil for People with High Creatinine