Life Expectancy of Stage 3 Kidney Failure2013-08-29 14:58
Patients with stage 3 kidney failure often ask how long they can live. In fact, it is hard to give an exact answer about this question, as some people can live 15-20 years with stage 3 kidney failure, but some others can only live less than 5 years. Life expectancy of kidney failure depends on the stage of kidney failure, patients’ age, treatment method, diet and living style and so on. In a word, many factors can affect patients’ life expectancy.
Kidney failure is divided into 5 stages by the patient’s glomerular filtration rate (GFR). Stage 3 kidney failure is a special stage. In stage 1 and 2 kidney failure, patients have no obvious symptoms. Therefore, when patients realize there is something wrong with their kidneys, their illness condition has developed to stage 3 kidney failure. Patients with stage 3 kidney failure have a moderate decrease in the GFR of 30ml/min/m2--59ml/min/m2 and they have lost about a half of their kidney function. Under such a condition, knowing what to do to increase life expectancy is very essential.
What to do to improve life expectancy with stage 3 kidney failure?
1. Tight control of high blood sugar: It is the most common factor to cause kidney failure. In the Untied States, nearly 24 million people have diabetes, and almost 180,000 people are living with kidney failure as a result of diabetes. For these patients, a tight control of high blood sugar plays an important role in improving their life expectancy.
2. Tight control of high blood pressure: High blood pressure accounts for over 25% of all cases of kidney failure. High blood pressure causes damage by putting strain on the small blood vessels in kidneys, leading to worsen kidney function. Therefore, stage 3 kidney failure patients need to bring their blood pressure into normal range.
3. Infections and cold: Various infections and cold can worsen kidney failure, especially respiratory tract infection and urinary tract infection. Therefore, preventive measures for cold and infection are necessary.
4. Unreasonable diet: A reasonable diet can prolong patients’ life span. On the contrary, an unreasonable diet can shorten patients’ life span.
For stage 3 kidney failure patients, compared with knowing their life expectancy, knowing, knowing how to improve life expectancy is more meaningful.
- Pre: None
- Next: What Is Kidney Failure Prognosis
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- How Long Can Kidney Failure Patients Live if They Stop Dialysis
- How Long Can Kidney Failure Patient Live with Creatinine 4.7
- How Long Kidney Disease Patient with Creatinine 574 Live without Dialysis
- What is the Life Expectancy for Kidney Failure Patient with GFR of 10
- What Is the Recovery Chance of Stage 4 Kidney Disease
- Kidney Failure Diagnosis
- Kidney Failure Causes
- Kidney Failure Symptoms
- Kidney Failure Treatment
- Kidney Failure Diet
- Kidney Failure Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis