What Is Kidney Failure Prognosis2013-10-07 16:00
Patients with kidney failure usually hear the word “prognosis”. But patients may feel confused what the meaning of the word “prognosis” is. Prognosis is a prediction about patient’s future condition. Doctors always give a prognosis by using some advanced medical equipment to predict the condition of their disease and how long they can live. Prognosis is not very accurate, because many factors can affect the development of illness.
Kidney failure is that someone’s kidneys have been damaged partially or completely. Kidneys have the ability to filter blood, discharge excessive fluid and metabolic waste products out the blood. Also they can keep the balance of electrolyte and acid-base. Besides, kidneys can regulate blood pressure and secret hormones and so on. When kidney function has been impaired over 40%, kidneys can not work effectively as usual. Thus people start to suffer from various symptoms such as edema, high blood pressure, kidney pain, etc. When patients go to hospital and check their body, the doctors diagnose that they suffer from kidney failure, and their kidney function has lost over 40%. In this situation, patients with kidney failure want to know how long they can live.
In fact, it is hard to say how long patients with kidney failure can live. Giving prognosis is based on the severity of kidney failure, treatment method, and complications and so on.
The severity of kidney failure: the earlier the kidney failure is diagnosed, the better the prognosis is. If you have been diagnosed with kidney failure in stage 1 or 2, your illness can be controlled effectively, and the prognosis is much better. However, if you are diagnosed with stage 5 kidney failure which is also called end stage kidney failure, your life expectancy will be not so good.
Treatment: With right treatment, your kidney failure will be controlled efficiently. Reasonable treatment can prolong your life expectancy. In turn, unsuitable treatment will shorten your life expectancy.
Complications: complications like high blood pressure, renal anemia, and heart problem can affect your prognosis directly, so remember to bring these complications under control.
- Tag: Kidney Failure Prognosis
- Pre: Life Expectancy of Stage 3 Kidney Failure
- Next: Is Stage 3 Kidney Failure Serious
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- How Long Can Kidney Failure Patients Live if They Stop Dialysis
- How Long Can Kidney Failure Patient Live with Creatinine 4.7
- How Long Kidney Disease Patient with Creatinine 574 Live without Dialysis
- What is the Life Expectancy for Kidney Failure Patient with GFR of 10
- What Is the Recovery Chance of Stage 4 Kidney Disease
- Kidney Failure Diagnosis
- Kidney Failure Causes
- Kidney Failure Symptoms
- Kidney Failure Treatment
- Kidney Failure Diet
- Kidney Failure Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis