Vegetarian Diet for Kidney Disease Patients in Indian2013-12-09 16:29
Kidney disease is a common disease around the world, and there are many chronic kidney disease patients in Indian. As we know, because of the religious faith, some Indian people are lacto-ovo vegetarians or vegans. When they get kidney disease, they need to manage their daily diet scientifically. Then, what are the vegetarian diets for kidney disease patients in Indian?
As the research shows, a plan-based diet may slow down some complications such as high blood pressure, proteinuria, anemia and the progression of kidney failure. A well-planed diet will help lower the levels of protein, potassium, sodium, fluid and phosphorus in body, which will help keep the nutrients in body at normal level.
The vegetarian diet for kidney disease patients in Indian should as follow:
Kidney disease patients are often recommended to take proper protein in order to slow down the kidney damage. They need to take some high quality protein foods, such as fish, chicken, beef and some other red meat. However, for Indian vegans, they can take some high-quality protein foods such as peanuts, corn, wheat, cucumber, squash, broccoli, tomato and cucumber.
Depending on the blood tests, patients can get their potassium level. Generally speaking, with the decreased kidney function, patients may get high potassium level, which may cause heart disease and some other serious complications. So they need to limit their potassium intake. On the other hand, some patients may have low potassium level, and they need to increase the potassium level. Because both high or low potassium level are harmful for people’s health.
There are some foods that people can take depending on their potassium level .
High potassium vegetables: avocado, beets, brussels sprouts, greens, potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, sweet potatoes,tomatoes, tomato and vegetable juice and winter squash.
High potassium fruits: apricots, banana, honeydew melon, nectarines, orange, orange juice, prune juice.
Low potassium vegetables: raw alfalfa sprouts, cooked collards, popcorn, cooked leeks, raw endive, sliced cucumbers, lettuce, raw peppers and canned water chestnuts.
Low potassium fruits: slides apples, cranberry sauce, blueberries, canned applesauce, canned pears, diced pineapple and raw raspberries.
As we know, salt is rich in sodium, and too much sodium intake will cause swelling and high blood pressure for kidney disease patients. Therefore, patients need to limit the sodium intake and keep a low salt diet.
High sodium foods include: soy and teriyaki sauces, salt, garlic, onion and seasoned salts.
Because of the kidney damage and the reduced kidney function, patients may get high phosphorus level, which may also damage the kidney function in turn. So patients need to limit high phosphorus foods such as almonds, brazil nuts, cashew nuts, cheese, dried fruits, garlic, halibut fish, hard potatoes, legumes, sesame seeds, whole wheat bread and sunflower seeds.
For kidney disease patients, they may also have the symptom of swelling, then they need to limit their daily fluid intake.
Above are the vegetarian diet for kidney disease patients in Indian. However, there is no one diet that is right for everyone with kidney disease, patients need to plan their diet depending on their illness condition. Before they decide to eat something, they need to ask the advices of their doctors, as a well-planed diet is so important for the improvement of their kidney function.
- Tag: CKD Diet
- Pre: A Diet Plan for CKD Stage 3
- Next: High Sodium Diets are Harmful for Kidney Disease Patients
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Why Kidney Disease Patient should Control the Intake of Cholesterol
- Dialysis Patient with GFR 11 What Amount of Liquid should I Drink
- Why Chronic Kidney Disease Patient should Control the Intake of Phosphorus
- Kidney Disease Patient with Gout should Avoid to Take Foods with High Purine
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Eat Black Beans
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diagnosis
- Chronic Kidney Disease Causes
- Chronic Kidney Disease Symptoms
- Chronic Kidney Disease Treatment
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diet
- Chronic Kidney Disease Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis