Diet Recommendations for People with Chronic Kidney Disease2014-02-12 08:35
As we know, for chronic kidney disease patients, they need to keep a kidney-friendly diet which can help them reduce the kidney burden and protect the residual kidney function. Therefore, CKD patients should know exactly what they can eat and what they cant eat in their daily life, which will be helpful for their illness condition. In this article, we will make some diet recommendations for people with chronic kidney disease (CKD).
1. Limit Liquids
For CKD patients, their damaged kidneys cant excrete the excess fluids into urine, which will cause high blood pressure, swelling and short of breath, so patients need to limit their liquids intake in their daily life. Patients need to avoid soups, gravies, hot beverages, soft drinks and water in large amount.
2. Reduce phosphorus intake
Phosphorus is an important mineral in blood along with calcium, and the kidney damage will cause the imbalance of calcium and phosphorus levels in blood. When CKD patients suffer from high phosphorus levels, they may have low calcium level, which will cause bone problems. So patients need to limit the high phosphorus foods, such as carbonated beverages, decaffeinated coffee, shellfish, cheeses and prepared cereals.
3. Lower potassium levels
High potassium level is also a common symptom for CKD patients, which will cause serious problems on heart, so patients need to limit their potassium intake in their daily life. The high potassium foods include banana, avocados, kiwi fruits, potatoes, beets, lima beans, greens and tomatoes.
4. Limit the protein intake
Because of the proteinuria, which is a common symptom of CKD, patients need to limit their protein intake, and a low-protein diet can help reduce the kidney burden and slow down the progression of kidney failure. Besides, people need to eat some high quality protein, such as milk, lean meat, fresh fish and egg whites.
5. Keep a low-salt diet
CKD patients should also keep a low-salt diet, which can help them relieve the symptoms of high blood pressure and swelling. They need to avoid the high sodium foods, such as prepared foods, potato chips, table salt, lunch meats and canned soups.
Above are some diet recommendations for chronic kidney disease patients, and people need to pay attention to their daily diet and keep a kidney-friendly diet, which can help them relieve their symptoms and protect the residual kidney function.
- Tag: CKD Diet
- Pre: Is Aloe Vera Juice Beneficial for Kidney Patients
- Next: Is Custard Apple Good for Kidney Disease Patients
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Why Kidney Disease Patient should Control the Intake of Cholesterol
- Dialysis Patient with GFR 11 What Amount of Liquid should I Drink
- Why Chronic Kidney Disease Patient should Control the Intake of Phosphorus
- Kidney Disease Patient with Gout should Avoid to Take Foods with High Purine
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Eat Black Beans
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diagnosis
- Chronic Kidney Disease Causes
- Chronic Kidney Disease Symptoms
- Chronic Kidney Disease Treatment
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diet
- Chronic Kidney Disease Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis