Diet Suggestions for Diabetic Nephropathy2013-08-30 15:31
Diabetic nephropathy is a kidney disease caused by diabetes. It is a serious complication of Diabetes and deteriorates to kidney failure if left alone. Therefore, it is necessary to control and prevent its progress when patients are diagnosed with Diabetic Nephropathy. Daily diet plays an important role in controlling the development of diabetic nephropathy. Well, how to make a reasonable diet for patients with diabetic nephropathy? The followings are the related diet suggestions for Diabetic Nephropathy patients.
1. Limit the intake of carbohydrate: For patients with diabetic nephropathy, they have higher blood sugar level than normal people, so they need to limit the intake of carbohydrate.
2. Limit the intake of protein: protein is an important substance in the body. It can build and repair body tissue, adjust physiological function and supply energy for human body, but too much protein in the body can increase the burden of kidney. For patients with diabetic nephropathy, their kidneys have been damaged, high protein diet will further damage kidney. For this reason, patients with diabetic nephropathy need to limit the intake of protein. Besides, about 60% of the protein they ingest need to be high quality protein which can be found in as fish, lean meat, egg white, milk, etc.
3. Eat the food with low sodium or salt: First, sodium increased blood pressure, and high blood pressure deteriorates diabetic nephropathy. Second, kidney function has been impaired for patients with diabetic nephropathy. Damaged kidney can not discharge excess sodium, leading to buildup of sodium in the body. This can cause edema and worsen diabetic nephropathy. To lower the intake of sodium, patients should choose fresh or frozen fruits, vegetables and meats. Also, they need to limit or avoid canned, pickled or processed foods, like can, pickles, ham.
4. Regulate the intake of potassium. If patients with diabetic nephropathy have elevated potassium level in the body, they should stay far away from high potassium foods such as spinach, potatoes, carrots, mushroom, banana, longan, orange, apple, and grape. They can eat some low potassium foods like pumpkin, rice and tofu and so on.
5. Limit phosphorus intake and try to ingest more calcium: High phosphorus level affect body from absorbing enough calcium. Kidney is responsible for regulating phosphorus level in blood. When kidneys are injured due to years of Diabetes, phosphorus level in blood increases and as a result of this, calcium level decreases. Therefore, adjusting phosphorus intake and calcium intake is also necessary.
The above are the several diet suggestions for Diabetic Nephropathy patients and hope it is helpful. Besides, for Diabetic Nephropathy patients, what they can eat depends on their specific illness condition, so if you want to have an exact diet plan, you can send your test report to us. Our experts will give you some dietary suggestions after analyzing your illness.
- Pre: None
- Next: Foods Cannot Eat For Patients With Diabetic Nephropathy
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Foods Which are Fit for Patients with Diabetic Kidney Disease
- Foods to Eat with Diabetic Nephropathy and High Blood Pressure
- Risk of Drinking Alcohol Weekly with Diabetic Nephropathy
- What Precaution should Take in Food for Patient with Diabetic Nephropathy
- Apple Cider Vinegar for People with Diabetes and Stage 3 CKD
- Diabetic Nephropathy Diagnosis
- Diabetic Nephropathy Causes
- Diabetic Nephropathy Symptoms
- Diabetic Nephropathy Treatment
- Diabetic Nephropathy Diet
- Diabetic Nephropathy Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis