Suggestions on Diet for CKD Stage 3 Patients with GFR 332014-01-05 02:11
Patient: I am struggling to eat the best diet and foods to help prevent the further damage to my kidneys. I have stage 3 CKD, at 33 GFR, and I want to know exactly the best foods to eat.
Doctor: Hi, I am glad to help you. From your description, I get your illness condition, you are in stage 3 CKD and your GFR is 33, which means your kidney function has been reduced moderately. In this condition, you may suffer from some serious symptoms, such as proteinuria, high blood pressure, swelling and blood urine.
As we know, all the kidney patients should pay attention to their daily diet, and keep a kidney-friendly diet.Then, do you know, why kidney patients should limit their diet?
Kidneys are the most important metabolic organs, and the foods we eat will produce some wastes in body. The kidney has the function of filtering wastes and toxins in blood, which will clear the blood, and keep the whole body work normal. Once the kidneys get damaged, the kidney function will be reduced, and the wastes can be filtered out promptly. so the wastes will build up in blood, which will cause further damage to the kidneys. Therefore, as a kidney disease patient, you should keep a kidney-friendly foods, which will help reduce the kidney burden and protect the residual kidney function.
Suggestions on diet for CKD stage 3 patients with GFR
- Keep a low protein diet and take some high quality protein diet. For Stage 3 CKD patients, they can take 0.6 g/ kg body weight everyday.
- Keep a low salt diet, which will help them prevent or remit the swelling and high blood pressure.
- Limit the fluid intake, which will relieve the symptom of swelling.
- Supply enough vitamins and mineral elements depending on the illness condition.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits, but they need to choose the right vegetables and fruits.
Although a kidney-friendly diet is good for CKD stage 3 patients, but it is not the fundamental method to slow down the progression of kidney failure. A best diet can only help reduce the kidney burden and reduce the kidney damage, but the impaired kidneys will finally develop into kidney failure only on treating with diet. You should also have some medical treatment for your kidney damage. Here we recommend Chinese medicines to treat CKD stage 3, which can help relieve the symptoms and repair the damage kidneys, and the kidney function will be improved effectively if you have a systemic treatments on Chinese therapies.
- Tag: FAQS CKD Diet
- Pre: Kidney Failure: How to Stop Dialysis and Improve Kidney Function
- Next: Chinese Medicine for IgA Patients with 40% Kidney Function