Diet Recommendations for Stage 5 Kidney Failure without Dialysis2014-02-17 07:31
At stage 5 of kidney failure,which is also called end stage renal disease (ESRD), patients have only less than 15% kidney function with GFR 15 ml/min or less. And filtration of blood is impaired very severely, which leads to large quantities of buildup of toxins and wastes such as potassium, phosphorus, sodium and fluids. At this stage, patients need to take dialysis or kidney transplant into consideration. If much wastes build up in the bloodstream, uremia occurs. Apart from treatment,patients should pay attention to a diet, which is helpful for treatment. What diets should patients at stage 5 without dialysis have?
1. Intake of protein.
Limiting intake of protein contributes to declining wastes in the blood. However, a low protein diet and poor appetite may lead to malnutrition. Besides, if results of albumin is below 4.0 mg/dL, it means that protein in the body is depleted.
2. Have enough calories
As patients at stage 5 have bad appetite, intake of calories can be insufficient.Besides, taking enough calories help prevent patients from losing weight.
3. Potassium levels.
If urine output is less than one liter per day (about 32 ounces) and potassium level exceeds 5.0, patients need a low potassium diet. And they must avoid eating food high in potassium.
4. Phosphorus levels.
High level of phosphorus occurs at stage 5, which does harm to kidney. Patients at stage 5 without dialysis should avoid food high in phosphorus, such as nuts and seeds.
5. Reduce fluid retention and blood pressure.
Because fluid retention can cause swelling and a high sodium diet can cause much fluid retention and elevation of blood pressure. Patients at stage 5 without dialysis must limit fluids and sodium.
Patients at stage 5 without dialysis need to pay much attention to daily diets, contributing to promoting treatment of kidney failure.
- Tag: Kidney Failure Diet
- Pre: Can I Drink Green Tea With Chronic Kidney Failure
- Next: Is Lemon Juice Helpful for Kidney Failure Patients
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- What will Happen if Kidney Failure Patient Drinks too much Water
- Why People with Kidney Failure should Control the Intake of Potassium
- Are Some Proteins Better than Others for Kidney Failure Patient
- Is Curry Powder Safe for Dialysis Patient
- How much Fluid for Stage 4 Kidney Failure with Diabetes
- Kidney Failure Diagnosis
- Kidney Failure Causes
- Kidney Failure Symptoms
- Kidney Failure Treatment
- Kidney Failure Diet
- Kidney Failure Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis