How Long Can A Person Live Without Dialysis at End Stage Kidney Failure
At end stage kidney failure, the deposits of uremic toxins and severe complications usually drive patients to begin dialysis for sustaining their life. In fact, there are still some patients with ESRD to live by their own kidneys. If you are one among them, you may want to know how long a person can live without dialysis at end stage kidney failure.
At what conditions ESRD patients can live without dialysis safely?
Generally speaking, glomerular filtration rate (GFR) or kidney function level is the most reliable indicator for the time to start dialysis, but it isn’t the only indicator. If patients don’t have severe complications such as hyperkalemia and hyperuricemia and their kidneys can still produce enough urine, dialysis may not be recommended.
In this case, patients with end stage kidney failure can still live with their own kidneys safely. Of course, some treatments are needed to protect remaining kidney function, and it is the best to reverse damaged kidney functioning cells. As long as kidneys can work relatively properly, these patients can live without dialysis for a long time.
At what conditions it is dangerous for ESRD patients to live without dialysis?
If these patients have the following symptoms or problems, the answer of today’s question is quite bad.
- Creatinine level is higher than 8.0mg/dl or BUN is higher than 28.6mmol/l
- Hyperkalemia. Potassium level is above 6.5mmol/l
- Metabolic acidosis companying with poor appetite, nausea and vomiting
- Chronic congestive heart failure
- Restless leg syndrome
- Severe swelling in legs, hands, feet, eyelids, etc.
The above symptoms may be life-threatening if left untreated. Dialysis is one treatment that can remove small molecular substances such as creatinine, urea and water from the body. Therefore, it is honored as life-sustaining therapy for end stage kidney failure patients. In these conditions, death may come in several months or even several weeks.
Since the answer changes from person to person. If you hope to live without dialysis, you can consult the online doctor to see what treatments can help you survive it as long as possible. Leaving a message below is also OK.
- Tag: Kidney Failure Prognosis
- Previous：What Is the Prognosis with 20% kidney function
- Next：How Serious Is High Creatinine 5.6 After Kidney Transplant
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- How Long Can Kidney Failure Patient Live with High Creatinine Level
- Stage 4 Kidney Failure Life Expectancy with Dialysis
- Stage 5 Kidney Failure Life Expectancy
- Renal Failure: Do Kidney Transplant Patient Have a Shorter Lifespan
- How Long can You Survive on 5% Kidney Function without Dialysis
- Kidney Failure Diagnosis
- Kidney Failure Causes
- Kidney Failure Symptoms
- Kidney Failure Treatment
- Kidney Failure Diet
- Kidney Failure Prognosis
- Creatinine Level Downs from 6.5 to 5.4 is there still Necessary to Take Dialysis
- Diabetic Kidney Disease with Creatinine 4.3 should I Take Dialysis
- What is the Latest Treatment for Kidney Disfunction
- Kidney Failure with High Blood Pressure How to Treat it by Chinese Medicine
- Early Treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease Can Prevent Kidney Failure
- Diabetes and Kidney Disease with Low Sodium Level in Blood