Suggested Diet for Polycystic Kidney Disease2014-01-05 03:46
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a common inherited kidney disease with the cysts and polyps formed on or around the kidneys. PKD can cause kidney failure if the disease cant be treated promptly and effectively. They should have both diet therapy and medical therapy to remedy their kidney disease. In this article, we will introduce the suggested diet for polycystic kidney disease.
As we know, all the kidney disease patients should keep a kidney-friendly diet, because the diet changes can help improve the overall health of the PKD patients, and a scientific diet plan for PKD patients will help them reduce the kidney burden and protect the residual kidney function. Here are some suggested diet for PKD patients.
1. Low fat diet
PKD patients are often recommended to keep a low-fat diet and take more fruits and vegetables in their daily life, which are high in antioxidants and vitamins. Besides, the plant proteins in vegetables and fruits are more helpful in lower the high blood pressure and may slow the enlargement of the kidney cysts. As the surveys show that soy proteins have the function of slowing down the progression of PKD. The recommended soy proteins are tofu, miso and tempeh.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids have been proved to have the function of anti-inflammatory and slowing down the progression of PKD. The common rich in omega-3 fatty acid foods contain cold-water oily fish (salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies and sardines), flaxseed or linseed, and walnuts and pecans.
3. High-fiber foods
The high-fiber foods will help people combat with insulin resistance, which will cause heart disease. Heart disease will increase the rates of PKD progression. The fiber can be found in vegetables and fruits, besides the whole grains and legumes are also high in fiber.
Above are the suggested diet for polycystic kidney disease patients, if they can keep a proper and suitable diet depending on their illness, they can slow their progression of kidney failure. Early and effective treatment will make a good prognosis for PKD patients.
- Tag: PKD Diet
- Pre: Is Cranberry Juice Helpful for the Treatment of PKD
- Next: Is Orange Good for Polycystic Kidney Disease Patients
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Diagnosis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Causes
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Symptoms
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Diet
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis