Why People with Kidney Failure should Control the Intake of Potassium2015-03-06 14:27
Why people with kidney failure should control the intake of potassium ? You know a good diet will help to protect the kidneys from further damage and delay the progression of this disease, so as a kidney disease patient they should pay high attention to the the foods they eat, especially as a kidney failure patient. You may heard that kidney disease patient should control the intake of potassium but do you know why ? The following i will tell you more about this kind of nutrition.
What is potassium?
Potassium is a mineral needed in the body for moving your muscles and sending messages to your nerves. It also helps control your heart beat and maintains your normal body fluids.
Why people with kidney failure should control the intake of potassium ?
When your kidneys are not working properly they lose the ability to get rid of excess potassium. High levels of potassium in the blood can be dangerous to your health and can cause:
Irregular heart beat
Muscle weakness (especially in legs)
Tingling or numbness in toes and fingers
How do you avoid getting too much potassium?
Do not use salt substitutes. (Examples: NuSalt; No Salt; Morton's Salt Substitute; Morton's Lite Salt; Adolph's Salt Substitute; Papa Dash Salt Lover's Blend; Low Sodium Bouillon)
The potassium content of potatoes and some other vegetables can be reduced by a process called leaching. Ask your dietitian if this will work for you. But as a kidney disease you’d better make a diet plan according to your own condition, because different people need different foods.
If you need any help in making diet plan or treating kidney failure, you can leave message below or consult our experts on whatsapp directly, we will try our best to help you. Our whatsapp: +86 18633865632
- Tag: Kidney Failure Kidney Failure Diet Kidney Failure should Control the Intake of Potassium
- Pre: Are Some Proteins Better than Others for Kidney Failure Patient
- Next: What will Happen if Kidney Failure Patient Drinks too much Water
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- What will Happen if Kidney Failure Patient Drinks too much Water
- Why People with Kidney Failure should Control the Intake of Potassium
- Are Some Proteins Better than Others for Kidney Failure Patient
- Is Curry Powder Safe for Dialysis Patient
- How much Fluid for Stage 4 Kidney Failure with Diabetes
- Kidney Failure Diagnosis
- Kidney Failure Causes
- Kidney Failure Symptoms
- Kidney Failure Treatment
- Kidney Failure Diet
- Kidney Failure Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis