Learn to Make a Healthy Diet for PKD Patients2013-09-06 17:39
As we know, patients with kidney disease have strict restriction on their diet, so is patient with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). An appropriate diet can help control patient’s kidney disease effectively, while a bad diet is more likely to aggravate patient’s condition easily. Today, we are here to introduce how to make a healthy diet for PKD patients.
1. Manage protein intake
Too much or too little intake of protein is bad for patients with PKD. Excess protein intake will increase the burden on kidneys and worsen patients’ condition. Too little protein intake can not meet the body’s needs, and may cause other problems. Thereby, appropriate amount of protein intake is necessary for these patients. Besides, high-quality protein is needed, because it contains more essential amino acid and produce less waste products.
2. Lower the intake of salt
Too much salt may cause or aggravate edema and hypertension. One reason for edema is the retention of sodium and fluid, so reducing the sodium intake can reduce the risk of edema. Hypertension is a severe complication for PKD patients that can accelerate the progress of PKD. Thereby, reducing the risk of hypertension is necessary. If patients’ condition is not very serious, 3~5g of salt is proper. If patients have severe symptoms, the amount of sodium should decline to 1~2g or lower.
3. Correct fluid intake
The intake of water should also be decided by patients’ conditions. If patients have obvious edema or low kidney function, fluid intake should be restricted. With high kidney function and no edema, patients are recommended to drink enough water.
4. The vitamin intake
Patients with PKD should take more vitamins, and they are useful to preserve patients’ health. Foods like vegetables and fruits are perfect.
Different patients have different needs, so the above suggestions may be not suitable for everyone. If you are also suffering from Polycystic Kidney Disease and haven’t developed a kidney-friendly diet, you can communicate with our online experts, and we are willing to help you.
- Pre: None
- Next: What to Eat With PKD
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Diagnosis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Causes
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Symptoms
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Diet
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis