Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder2014-01-16 07:39
Chronic kidney disease -mineral and bone disorder (CKD-MBD) is a common complication for kidney disease patients, which may cause serious bone problems for patients such as ostealgia, fracture and osteoporosis. And the CKD-MBD will make kidney disease patients more and more weakness, so they should have effective treatment to prevent and treat CKD-MBD.
CKD-MBD is often related to the kidney damage, when the kidneys fail to maintain the proper levels of calcium and phosphorus in blood, it will cause abnormal bone hormone levels. So the CKD-MBD is often related to the phosphorus, calcium, PTH and vitamin D.
In healthy adults, the kidneys can help keep the balance of phosphorus and calcium levels and ensure the vitamin D become activated, which will help maintain the healthy bone mass and structure.
Calcium is a mineral which can help build and strengthen bones, if the calcium levels become too low in blood, it will release a hormone called parathyroid hormone (PTH). And PTH will draws calcium from the bones, which will cause high blood calcium level. Too much PTH in blood will remove too much calcium from the bones, and with a long time, it will cause bone problems.
Phosphorus in blood can help regulate calcium level in bones. Once the kidneys are damaged, they will lose the function to filter the excess phosphorus on blood, which will cause high phosphorus level. And the high phosphorus level will cause low calcium level in blood, and leading to higher PTH levels which will also cause loss of calcium in bones.
Healthy kidneys can also help produce calcitriol from vitamin D which is received from sunlight and foods, and calcitriol can help the body absorb dietary calcium and phosphorus into blood and bones. Calcitriol and PTH can work together to keep the calcium level balance and keep the bone healthy. Once the kidneys are damaged, all these will be in disorder, and patients will get bone problems.
CKD-MBD will make kidney disease patients sicker, so they should have prompt and effective treatment to treat thir kidney disease, and keep the balance of calcium and phosphorus levels, and supply enough vitamin D to increase the calcium level.
- Tag: CKD Symptoms
- Pre: Have Much Bubbles In Urine Mean Kidney Problem
- Next: Symptoms of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in Women
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diagnosis
- Chronic Kidney Disease Causes
- Chronic Kidney Disease Symptoms
- Chronic Kidney Disease Treatment
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diet
- Chronic Kidney Disease Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis