What are the Causes of Water Retention in Stage 4 CKD2015-05-28 15:46
What are the causes of water retention in stage 4 CKD patients ? Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease is one severe condition. In this stage, kidneys are unable to filter patients’ blood normally. Water retention just indicates excessive water or fluid collects in the body. To prevent more severe kidney problems, patients should take some remedies to control their water retention.
In most cases of stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, damaged kidneys are unable to remove water out of the body. When extra fluid builds up in the body, legs, feet, ankles, around eyelids, hands, abdomen, lung, etc, may be affected easily.
What are the causes of water retention in Stage 4 CKD ?
As introduced by nephrologists, water retention is due to two direct causes: extra fluid accumulation and a large amount of protein leakage. In fact, these two problems are attributed to severe decline of kidney function. At Stage 4 CKD, kidneys are functioning at 15%~29%.
Effective treatments to alleviate water retention for these patients
Control fluid and sodium intake. Since water retention is due to sodium and fluid retention, patients should decrease their fluid and sodium intake. Such a meal plan requires patients to eat about 1,500~2,000 mg of sodium one daily.
Elevate the affected regions. This method can prevent fluid from building up in affected regions continuously. For example, if you have leg swelling, you can elevate your legs when you sleep.
Take diuretics. For Stage 4 CKD patients, diuretics are often used to ease water retention, because diuretics can stimulate kidneys to eliminate more water, so as to ease swelling or edema.
From the above we can know kidney damage is the root cause of water retention. In view of this, patients should seek some therapies that can help improve your kidney condition effectively.
If you have other questions or need any help in treating kidney disease, you can leave message to us, we will try our best to help you.
- Tag: CKD Symptoms Stage 4 CKD Water Retention in Stage 4 CKD
- Pre: Why Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease Patient Get Itchy Rash
- Next: Fatigue in CKD What are the Causes and How to Treat It
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diagnosis
- Chronic Kidney Disease Causes
- Chronic Kidney Disease Symptoms
- Chronic Kidney Disease Treatment
- Chronic Kidney Disease Diet
- Chronic Kidney Disease Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis