Can Stage 3 of Chronic Kidney Disease Cause Skin to Itch2014-02-11 02:58
Can stage 3 of CKD cause skin itching? Literally,skin itching also called pruritus describes some feelings such as discomfort and irritation which forces you to scratch. In other words, it means the inflammatory reaction of skin. It can occur in any part of the body,even the whole body. Many diseases and problems may lead to skin itching. Patients with chronic kidney disease may have the symptom of skin itching,and skin itching is very severe especially in the stage 4 and 5. Then what about stage 3 of chronic kidney disease?
Stage 3 of chronic kidney disease can cause skin to itch. The causes are as following:
1. In the stage 3, the kidney function decreases moderately and glomerular filtration rate (GFR) drops between 30 and 59 ml/min.Some complications can be developed such as High Blood Pressure, Bone Disease and Anemia. As more than half kidney function is damaged, much wastes and toxins build up in the body, which can stimulate the skin and cause skin itching.
2. The damaged kidney is unable to keep calcium and phosphorus in the blood balanced. Less calcium in the blood can stimulate four pea-sized glands in the neck which is called parathyroid glands to release parathyroid hormone. Much parathyroid hormone will cause skin itching.
3. Patients take some medicines for CKD, which may lead to skin itching.
Apart from skin itching, stage 3 of chronic kidney disease can cause other symptoms, which are below:
- Tiredness. Patients with CKD is easy to feel tired, which is mainly due to anemia..
- Edema. The kidneys may be unable to balance fluid in the body. There is swelling in their lower legs, hands or face around the eyes, which can lead to short breath.
- Urination changes. Urine may seems to be foamy, dark orange, brown, tea colored or red. Urine excreted by patients can be more or less, and always go to the bathroom at night.
- Kidney pain. Patients with polycystic kidney disease (PKD) or infections may have pain in in the kidneys.
- Sleeping problems. Patients may have difficulty getting into sleep because of Itching, muscle cramps or restless legs.
In a word,patients with chronic kidney disease at stage 3 have the symptom of skin itching and many other problems can be caused by stage 3 of CKD. They should do the examinations and make effective measures to avoid the further deterioration of chronic kidney disease.
- Pre: Adverse Effects of Bad Emotions on Kidney Disease
- Next: Symptoms of Low Hemoglobin for Kidney Disease Patients