Can I Eat Lettuce If I Have Polycystic Kidney Disease2013-10-30 11:47
Lettuce is a kind of vegetable common to see in the daily. We know that there are many food taboos for kidney disease patients. Whether Polycystic Kidney Disease patient can eat lettuce or not is really a question.
Nutritional value of lettuce
Before answering this question, let’s look at the nutritional value of lettuce first, given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100 g of lettuce:
|Carbohydrates||4.5 g||Dietary Fiber||1.2 g|
|Vitamin A||57mg||Vitamin C||8mg|
Benefits of lettuce
From the above, we can have a clear knowledge of lettuce. It has rich vitamin and various kinds of mineral elements. Vitamin can improve your immune system, which will help you fight with infection, the common symptom of PKD. Fiber can benefit your digestive system so as to promote the discharge of metabolism waste. Calcium is good for bone. Potassium is helpful for discharging more sodium out of the body and lower high blood pressure. It is well known that PKD patients have high blood pressure, therefore lettuce is recommended.
Besides, lettuce is a kind of alkaline food. It can be neutralized with acid food, such as grain and meat, as a result, it has the function of adjusting the fluid acid-base balance in the body. Moreover, it is diuretic. More urine can take away more waste from the body and reduce the chance of infection.
However, it should be avoided if the patients are in the end stage of PKD, because the kidneys in that stage have failed the function of filtering these mineral elements. More intake of lettuce means increasing the burden of kidneys, which will cause further damage.
Whether you can eat lettuce or not should follow your illness condition. You had better consult your doctor before you take it. Our online doctors are also pleased to help you.
- Tag: Polycystic Kidney Disease Diet
- Pre: Can I Eat Plum If I Have Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Next: Diet for Polycystic Kidney Disease Stage 1
Have a question regarding kidney disease? Get an answer from Medical Professional now!
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Diagnosis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Causes
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Symptoms
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Diet
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Prognosis
- How to Reduce Protein in Urine with Hypertensive Nephropathy
- Can Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Avoid Dialysis
- How to Treat FSGS with Itching Skin and 13% Renal Function
- Can PKD with Back Pain be Treated
- Is There Any Natural Treatment to Manage Creatinine 4.5 with CKD
- Can Kidney Failure Patients be Treated Without Dialysis